Saturday, June 30, 2012

I Got The Boot!


Ha ha..... This morning, Mama and Dad measured me for a Thera-paw boot.  They were really confused by the measurements, so they called the company but they are closed until Monday.  Mama started looking for any place in Houston that sells them.  She found that Greyhound Pets of America, Houston carried them. Dad called them to see if they could help us determine the size and they said we were welcome to come by and try them on.  We piled in the car and off we went.  It was an hour drive, of course.  The people were very nice and Mama explained to them my history and my limping. She said that she thought is was a corn, but she couldn't find one.  There was a man there who they said was a greyhound guru who looked at my foot and within 3 seconds, said "Yep, he has a corn."  Can you believe that?  It is really small.  Mama still didn't see it until they pointed it out to her.  She told them how the Previcox had been helping me and she thought that I had arthritis again.  They said it could be, but I definitely have a corn.  Now, I have to get rid of it.  So, for all of you who said "it sounds like a corn",  you were right.  Mama feels really stupid for not being able to see it. She poked, squeezed and rubbed my pads and didn't feel or see it and I never reacted.  I guess we will know for sure once the corn is gone if the arthritis is back.

We have been reading the websites on how to get rid of the corn.  Does anyone have any tips?

I wore my boot tonight and I was allowed to walk on the gravel and the pavement.  I walked pretty good with it.  I feel like a clown though.  I didn't hop.  I walked on my foot.

Oh, I have to tell you what happened on my walk tonight.  Dad told Mama to stop.  He said there is a snake.  She screamed really loud and jumped up in the air.  He then said, "YOU JUST STEPPED ON IT!". She screamed really loud again. There were men outside and they laughed.  It was a non-poisonous one, so it was okay, but you should have heard her screaming.

Joey,
The Greyhound Who Got The Boot

15 comments:

  1. I don't have any experience with corns, but I thought I'd like to try the Greyhound Corn/Callus Cream from Murray Avenue Apothecary, if we ever needed it. I heard about it from a couple other greyhound owners. Here's the link - http://www.murrayavenuerx.com/animals.html.

    The boys won't leave you alone with the snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A while back on Greytalk, they were saying that you could cut duct tape to fit the size of your pad and stick it to the pad with the corn and it would work it's way out that way, but other people go to a vet and they use a little huller type device that cuts them off. Since your mama has never seen one before, she shouldn't feel bad about not seeing it. I hope the boot helps in the meantime!

    Hee hee hee! At least it wasn't a poisonous snake! I wish you had a video of that, Joey!

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's so cool that you were able to go to the greyhound group and they helped find the corn. I hope you can get rid of it fast. I had a similar snake experience. I screamed and jumped about 3 feet in the air and backwards. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the guru found the corn. And I am still laughing at your mom, sorry. Butt that is to funny.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have no idea how to remove dog corns - we didn't even know they could get them. Hope the boot helps until it is gone, it would be great if it wasn't arthritis after all.
    Oh my Dog, your mum sounds very freaked out by the snake, we don't blame her!
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I expect standing on a snake is scary even if it isn't poisonous! I expect you look cool in your boot Joey mate...it's just a matter of perspective...it's good to stand out from the crowd! Deccy x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Problem nearly solved and we are glad the boot is working. Have a great Sunday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a PDF copy of an old Celebrating Greyhounds article about removing corns if you would like me to email you a copy. We basically use the tool to pick it out. I also posted about it a couple years ago, http://genjiscorner.blogspot.com/2009/09/yard-lounging-picking-corn.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your boot! Henry has corns on 3 of his feet. They aren't any fun. I 'core' them out and dremel them as often as I can..but it is a battle!
    Glad it wasn't a poisonous snake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Y'all,

    BOL! I can just picture your mom jumping and screaming. Kinda feel sorry for the snake. ;) Don't tell your mom though.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your boot helps. I didn't know dogs can get corns.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, dreaded corns. Good news in that at least it's not something serious. Bad news in that they are a pain! I've been dealing with Lima Bean's corn for many years now. Unfortuntately, there is no solution that uniformly works for everyone. In fact, most of the approaches don't work. There are definitely people out there who have had luck with various 'solutions', but the success seems very anecdotal. What I've found is the best approach is to manage them. That's already great that Joey has no issue with the Thera-paw. It's all about minimizing the discomfort and the thera-paws work well. In general, our strategy is to remove the corn when it gets to a certain size that's easy to remove. You an do it yourself (http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/corn_hulling.htm). This will give relief before it starts growing back at which point I'll remove it again. The typical cycle is 3-6 weeks between hullings, for us. Some little things I've tried which seem to help - after I hull, I'll treat her pad with bee propolis tincture and try and keep it moist with something like bag balm. This seems to slow down the regrowth. At the other end of the cycle, when the corn is back, I'll start putting a patch of duct tape over it. This seems to separate it from the pad a bit and makes it easier to hull. One thing I would suggest that you do NOT do is a surgical removal. The big problem is that more often than not, the corn still comes back.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have an acquaintance that has recurring corns and warts, fairly severe, and her owners have run the gamut in a range of treatments.
    They have now found someone in the U.K. who states 95% success rate in treatment for corns through ointments, wraps, and Chinese herbs. They've just started the treatment, but results should be forthcoming. If you're interested, there is a thread regarding this on GreyTalk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My dog has been limping and has a sore toe pad without any obvious sign of a corn. Was your dogs corn somewhat invisible? We are getting an X-ray tomorrow, and I wish it wasn't necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maureen, I did not see the corn. A greyhound savvy person did. It was just a little white speck. It is now easy to see because it has grown. I hope your dog is okay.

    ReplyDelete

Home Again - Part 3

 Well, we just realized that we didn't finish telling you about the rest of our trip home.  I don't know if we even remember the res...