Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 60, We Laughed At Mama And She Got Us Back

I am going to start off our post this morning and then let Joey takeover.   Last night, I fixed Mushroom Bagel Melt for dinner.  It is from our Emeals plan, of course.  However, I forgot to buy mushrooms. It was on the list, but I missed it. That's sad because I have another recipe this week that calls for mushrooms.

1 chicken breast, cooked and thinly sliced
2 bagels, cut in half and toasted
(¼ c Dijon mustard)
4 tomato slices
1 T diced onion
¼ c mushrooms, chopped
½ - 1 c shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat broiler and place toasted bagel halves on baking sheet. Evenly spread each half with mustard,
sliced tomato, onion, mushrooms, chicken and cheese. Broil until cheese is melted.

Mushroom Bagel Melt without mushrooms
I really liked it.  I added Provolone cheese to it since we had some and I didn't want it to go to waste.

I just realized last night that my oven has a broiler. Duh!  I was pretty excited over my discovery. LOL


I also fixed Blackberry Cobbler.  This was good, but be careful when heating the oatmeal. I burned it in the microwave and the smell was worse than burned popcorn.

(¼ c brown sugar, 1 T cornstarch)
1 cup blackberries
(¼ c flour, ¼ c brown sugar, ¼ c quick oats, 2 T soft butter)

Using a microwave safe bowl, mix brown sugar with cornstarch then stir in berries. Microwave uncovered on high until berries are thick and bubbly, about 3½ minutes, stirring halfway through. For topping, mix flour, brown sugar, quick oats and butter on a plate. Microwave on high, stirring once, until lightly golden and crumbly, about 4 minutes. Spoon over the blackberry mixture.

Blackberry Cobbler

Burned Oatmeal - it even burned the plate
I am going to call the vet today and discuss my findings with him on Joey. I think he has arthritis.  He had it before his surgery and that is the reason he had the surgery. His bone was fused together to help it. The vet said that it might come back.  We tried the Tramadol for four days and it did nothing for him except make him stubborn and vocal. I tried wrapping the foot, no improvement. Jeff and I have both examined the foot closely with a flashlight.  We have touched and squeezed the entire foot and leg many times. There is no hint of pain when we do that. I have used ice packs. Sunday, I gave him a Previcox and he seemed to improve. I gave him another one yesterday and he is walking much better. He hopped a few times yesterday and this morning, but he also walked a very long time on the pavement and he seems to be putting weight on his foot. He was not doing that on Sunday.  However, the boy will stand on that leg when he pees and that is putting full weight on it.  He confuses the heck out of me.   I think the Previcox is what he needs, I hope.  I feel sick when I see him hop.  I just don't want him to be in pain. If it is arthritis, it may not bother him every day. I guess we need to move to Arizona. LOL

Here's Joey...

Last night, Dad was late getting home from work.  He didn't get home until 9 p.m. We were bored. Mama went into the bedroom and came out wearing a hat.  She looked really funny.  I laughed. I shouldn't have done that because she put the hat on me.

How do I look?
Scout was laughing at me, so Mama put a hat on her.


She was not amused.  LOL

Mama and Dad put the awning away for the day because we might have storms.  Dad told Mama that we should get some of those noodles so that it doesn't hurt as bad when she hits her head. Grandpa used to put those on his fifth wheel.  They look funny, but I guess they do the job.

Mama did laundry this morning. There is now a big sign saying that some people are being rude leaving their clothes in the machines overnight and clothes must not be left unattended.  I bet the offenders still do it. Mama did not have any problems with morning and was back home with clean clothes by 7:30 a.m.  She is a morning person.

Joey,
The Greyhound Who Doesn't Like Wearing A Hat

11 comments:

  1. Oh the dreaded hats. But I say you two pull them off pretty well.
    Blessings,
    Goose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get a good solution for Joey. Poor boy. He does look cute in a hat though. Scout...You look like a super model!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh it's all a lather in the laundry room. We hope Joey is better but keep an eye on it when it's damp or wet. My old Pip's get limpy with her arthritis when its wet. When it dry she is back to normal. Just an idea!
    We have a new Furry Blog Buddies page so just post us a link with your fav pic and we will put you on.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. You two look really chic in your hats, especially Scout who is obviously a hat person. We are lucky - nothing fits us, haha.
    What is Previcox, is it another painkiller or an anti-inflammatory? I'm glad it is giving him some relief. It is strange that you can touch it and it doesn't bother him.
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad the Previcox seems to work. It can be so frustrating to see a dog in pain and not know what you can do to help. They are so good at hiding their pain sometimes so when it does show - you know it has to be bad. I've had success with Rimadyl and Metacam in the past, haven't tried Previcox before but heard it is also good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Y'all,

    Just wanted to stop to see how your week is going. Hope it's a great one!

    Joey you look all smiley in that hat and like a really cool working fella. Scout looks sort of snobby...my Human thinks she looks like the sophisticated lady she is.

    Hope your arthritis feels better today.

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joey, you and Scout look very smart in your hats! Beckett used to have a limp on and off, the vet put him on a supplement called "green lipped mussel" and after about 10 days he stopped limping and hasn't since. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you considered that it might be a corn? Lima started like that, only limping on gravel and rough pavement, but walking fine on grass or smooth surfaces. The tough thing was that her corn wasn't visible for a long time. The typical way you can check for a corn, if you can't see one, is to squeeze the toe from the sides and see if there's a pain reaction. If there is, it could be a corn that hasn't surfaced yet. Of course, we did this test with Lima and she didn't react :P.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom was going to ask about a corn, too! It is possible and some of them are very hard to see.

    I think you look cute in the hat, but Scout is the one who really looks adorable! That hat suits her, even if she isn't amused!

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  10. You guys look like you're ready to do some serious sight-seeing in those hats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I hope they get your foot sorted mate. I guess you already take Glucosamine & Chondroitin? Scout looks like a model in that hat! Deccy x

    ReplyDelete

Home Again - Part 3

 Well, we just realized that we didn't finish telling you about the rest of our trip home.  I don't know if we even remember the res...