Thursday, July 16, 2015

Scout - 11/19/05 to 07/15/15

Scout is gone.  She passed peacefully last night at 8 p.m. in a dimly lit room with three sofas and a fireplace. I couldn't have asked for nicer surroundings for her final moments.

My all time favorite photo of Miss Scout

When the vet told us that Scout had about eight weeks left (which was exactly right), I told Scout she could have whatever she wanted.  Boy, did that girl listen.  She demanded treat after treat. Peanut butter was her favorite for taking her meds.  I thought cheese might be a good change, but unfortunately I didn't buy her Kraft cheese this past weekend and she let me know that the new brand was not up to her standards.  Homemade frosty treats were her all-time favorite and she had so many in the last few days. She even ate two on the way to the vet.  She also dined on chicken last night. I thought my sign that she was ready to leave us would be when she quit eating, but that didn't happen.  The girl had a huge appetite.

Her favorite toy.

When I was looking for a girl to adopt, I told the group I wanted a petite, fawn girl.  Somehow I ended up with a 82 pound, brindle girl.  She was very much a tomboy.  She came with the name Scout and refused to adapt to the name I wanted to call her which was Katie.  In the end, she won and she remained Scout.  She was also known as Baby Girl, Girlfriend, Miss Scout and Scoutie.  I am sure there are a few other nicknames that I am forgetting at the moment but those were the ones she heard daily.

Give me treats!
 She hated walking when the sun was out.  We called her our vampire dog because she was happiest walking at night.  She loved playing in water and she loved sand.  Her favorite camping place was in Alabama because there was a huge dog park and her whole yard was sand.

Playing with her little brother.

Relaxing in Arlington, TX.



I remember when we first started taking her camping.  She was dragging as we walked through the campground.  I thought she was ill.  Nope, she was walking slowly in hopes that someone would stop to pet her. She did that on every walk. She loved people and being told she was beautiful.  She especially loved blonde or gray-haired ladies.  I think that her foster Mom most have had light colored hair.  One time, we were camping and we ran into Nancy, an old co-worker of mine.  Well, Scout must of thought that she was her foster Mom, Debbie, because she actually put her dirty paws on her shoulders.  I was so embarrassed. She had never done that before.
 
Scout's first day of full-timing.

Cadillac Ranch

Memorial Weekend in Arlington, TX.

Scout was a full-time RVer for the past three years, two months, two weeks and two days.  She didn't really enjoy the driving part, but she liked exploring new locations and meeting new people.  She hated Arizona.  I am glad we never stayed there for long.  It was too hot and too much gravel for her.

Fun Run in Abilene, KS


Scout was thrilled when we bought our latest motor home.  It has a king sized bed with a ceiling fan above it.  She spent her days roaching on the bed with a big smile on her face.  We kept the bedroom a cool 70 degrees just for her. No, she was not spoiled.  LOL

Happy girl!

I was so happy that she made it home to see everyone one last time.  The swelling on her head had actually almost disappeared and she looked great.  I think she also felt great that week.  We were beginning to think the vet was wrong about her dying, but only a few days after we left home, the swelling returned.  Her body began to fail her and we knew it was time to let her go.  Scout and I had many talks about the Rainbow Bridge and how wonderful it would be.

Pretty girl!

The house now feels empty without our brindle girl.  We no longer have to step over her bed which blocked our walkway in the bedroom. There are no more treat crumbs in our bed.  Joey and I are trying to create a new normal for our day.

Posing for Mom - one of the last photos of her.

I hope that Scout has found Jack and her foster Mom, Debbie by now.  She will be missed and, of course, never forgotten.

The Brindle Kids - not happy about scarves that Mom knitted for them.  Wow!  They definitely looked alike.

Together again.

Love ya Baby Girl.

Patty,

Mom To The Greyhounds; Jack, Scout and Joey 

44 comments:

  1. Such a hard thing. It sounds like it could not have gone better. Praying you and Joey will adjust to the new normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wish we could have made her better. Her last two months were filled with many hugs and tons of treats.

      Delete
  2. My parents adopted their first retired greyhound over 10 years ago and since then I've fallen in love with the breed. I'm drawn to greyhound blogs and love reading yours. It sounds like you have a lifetime of memories of Scout. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty, I can't tell you how sorry I am. I know how hard it was for you these past weeks but you gave Scout so much happiness and thought of her every need. What a wonderful life she had with you - love and adventure and a ton of treats.
    She will be missed by everyone who knew her at the campgrounds and in Blogville too.
    All our love and deepest sympathy to you and your husband and Joey.
    Big hugs, Lynne, Dip and Elliot xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sad. Just sad. But, boy did she have a great life with you guys. I always loved the Scout stories on the blog. Hope you will add some more stories about her now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. That is a good idea to continue some stories about her.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry you have lost Scout, she had a good life with you. All those adventures, places you have been with her. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patty, Joey, and Dad,
    I am so very sorry to hear of the passing of Scout. I, too, had hoped that the Vet. was wrong. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Janice, Snuggles, Sassy and Dixie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the swelling went down, we got our hopes up a little. I know she felt so much better when the swelling was down. She enjoyed her trip home and that made us very happy.

      Delete
  7. I was so sorry to read about Scout. How old was she? We lost Blondie in April of this year. She would of been 14 this month. We have BB who was adopted the same time that you adopted Joey. We thought BB would need a brother or sister, but surprisingly she had adapted very well to being the only child. Know that Scout had the best life ever with you and you did everything possible to provide her with a happy life and much love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scout was 9.5. Joey is going to be an only dog. I think he will be fine. Sorry to hear about Blondie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so very sorry for your loss. Your sweet Scout passed the same date our (red fawn Greyhound) Sophie did in 2000. Scout sure had a wonderful, adventurous life. This is a beautiful tribute you've written about her. My condolences to you, your hubby, and of course, Joey.

    Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. So very sorry for your loss. Scout had a great life with you. Run Fast and free baby. Love Dec x

    ReplyDelete
  11. We read about Scout at Dip Dip and the Bridge. We are so very sorry for your loss. It is easy for us to see how much Scout was loved. Soft woos and gentle hugs from us.

    Woos - Ciara and Lightning and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are so very sorry to hear about dear Scout. We send you lots of hugs and all our love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry to hear about Scout. Your tribute to her is so beautiful ...sounds like she was an incredible girl who lived life to the fullest. Run free, dear Scout ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. She has always been in the shadows of her brothers. I hope the tribute made her shine the way that she did.

      Delete
  14. Oh no :(. So sad to hear this. I'll miss reading about her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mum and I loved reading about Scout and Joey. She told me that when she and Cody first started going to the Big dog park there were a lot of greyhounds there and she used to love watching them run the fence. I don't go there very often and the last few times there were NO greyhounds (Cody's boyfriend Rajah died a couple of years ago -- he was a service dog).

    With Cody's going to bridge last year, mum knows what you are going through. We 'sent' a message to Cody to watch out for Scout -- he was such a handsome dog!!

    Toodle pip

    Cookie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that Scout and Cody have met up. I told her to look for her brother, Jack and her foster Mom.

      Delete
  16. We are so sorry to hear about Scout but it sure sounds like she was well loved and had a great life especially on that big bed. Wish we had known her but we are glad to read about her now. What fun to go traveling around all over with the dogs. Sending lots of hugs to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. No matter how much you try to prepare yourself, saying goodbye is just never an easy thing to do. You have built up so many wonderful memories and they will help you through the hard times. My deepest sympathy to you and to all who knew and loved Scout.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so sorry. It is so hard to say goodbye. she will be missed by all of us! Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry. Hugs to all of you.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so, so sorry to have just heard about Scout. She was a beautiful girl and so lucky to have you as her parents. You will be in my thoughts. Sending hugs.

    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been using Facebook more and rarely check blogger, but I just saw this..I remember when Jack passed, I am so so sorry about Scout, my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Crying for you. Beautiful, Scout - Run happy and free! They never, ever leave our hearts. Mary H.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so sorry about Scout. I will always remember her as being the Queen at the gathering in Abilene last year. I was so glad to get to meet her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wore her queen collar every day. She wasn't happy about being the queen, but she sure looked pretty in her queen of hearts collar. :-)

      Delete

Home Again - Part 3

 Well, we just realized that we didn't finish telling you about the rest of our trip home.  I don't know if we even remember the res...