Friday, June 15, 2012

Day 47, It's Been A Long Week

Mama says it has been a long week.  I guess she feels that way because she didn't really get to do anything fun last weekend and then we had to "suffer" through three days with only one air conditioning unit.  Tomorrow, the folks are going to Galveston for the day, so that should cheer her up.

Not much is going on and I guess that is good.  Yesterday, Mama cleaned Goldie.  She also dumped the tanks. Daddy said we should explain to you about dumping tanks, but Mama said she didn't think anyone wants to hear about that. He thought you all would, but he is obsessed with camping, so....... Basically, you have a grey tank which holds shower water and sink water.  The black tank holds the toilet water.  See, we told you it wasn't something you would want to read about. Anyway, when you are staying long term, you have full hook ups which includes your sewer. There is a hose that goes from the tanks to the sewer.  We leave our grey tank open until it is time to dump the black tank and then we close up the grey tank for a day before to collect water so that there is water to rinse out the hose after opening the black tank.  There is only one hose for the black and grey tanks.  When we are ready to dump, we open the grey line slightly just to put a little water through the line and then we close it and open the black tank.  Now, you want to do it slowly because if there is a leak, well, it will make a mess that you do not want on you.  After it is done, the hose kind of shrinks up and then you close the valve.  Then, you slowly open the grey tank and then open it all the way and it stays open again until the next time.  If you are dumping at a dump station, the process is different because the hose is not attached and you have to attach it.  It can be a little messier and you should wear gloves for that.   Daddy used to do all the dumping, but he thinks Mama needs to learn to do that sort of stuff, so she started doing it. 

Mama thawed out the freezer yesterday. Our freezer is not frost free and it was shrinking in size due to all the frost and ice.  Mama turned off the freezer and used a hair dryer to melt the ice.  She is not sure that is the proper way to do it, but it worked. 

My foot has been bothering me.  Mama is concerned, of course.  It only bothers me when I walk on pavement or gravel.  At first, Mama figured the pavement was hot, but it bothers me all the time even when it is cool.  She has looked at my pads and touched it all over. Nothing hurts.  The pain medicine doesn't seem to help, but again, I don't hop when I am inside or on grass.  Maybe the pavement just feels strange?   She has talked about buying me a boot.  I am not thrilled with that idea.  She is doing the ice pack treatment and said she wants me to take medicine for a few more days to see if it helps at all. 

Wednesday night, Mama fixed the Ham & Asparagus Casserole.  The folks both really liked it.  Mama was surprised that she liked it because it was like a quiche. Mama really liked the ham and onions in it. She didn't get a picture of it because she wasn't sure it was done and she messed it up checking on it. 

9 oz pkg shaved ham
¼ c chopped onions
½ bunch asparagus, chopped, save ½ for Meal 7
4 eggs
1 c milk
(Cooking spray, ½ c flour, ¾ t salt, ½ t pepper)
1¼ c shredded mozzarella cheese, divided. Combine ham, onions & asparagus and put into an 8x8"
sprayed baking dish. Beat together egg, milk, flour, salt, pepper, and ¼ c mozzarella until smooth. Slowly pour  over ham mixture. Bake 20 min at 425ยบ. Sprinkle with 1 c mozzarella and let melt.

Last night, she fixed Italian Casserole.  She liked it.  Dad didn't comment, but he ate it all. 
½ lb ground beef
½ chopped onion
½ 23 oz jar spaghetti sauce
4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
4 oz sour cream
1 can crescent rolls
(2 T melted butter & grated Parmesan)

In large skillet, brown beef and onion; drain. Add spaghetti sauce to meat and heat. Spread mixture into
bottom of square baking dish. Mix together cheese and sour cream. Spread over meat mixture. Lay crescent
triangles on top to form crust. Drizzle butter over top and sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Bake uncovered at 350°, 20 minutes, or until top is done.
Italian Casserole
Mama added cheese to the top because she thought it needed something more.
Tonight, she is fixing Loaded Bacon Baked Potatoes.  That should be a quick and easy meal.

Joey,
The Greyhound Who Doesn't Like Cleaning Days

13 comments:

  1. Hi Guys , the hose stuff actually had me in stitches as I could visualise my human getting it all wrong and getting into bother. Tonights menu is right up my street. Are you going to give Galveston chicken a go? Have a great weekend and looking forward to your next post!
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey Joey we look so alike in that photo of you; we could be brudders! The hose thing sounds something to avoid if you've had a glass of wine; could get a little messy! Hope your foot is okay mate. Uncle Flynn always limped on gravel, he just didn't like it! Deccy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you might need a boot. Maybe the hard surfaces are still too much for your foot. I found some soft booties for my greyhound. They are actually sled dog booties. They look like this http://www.dogbooties.com/shop/330-denier-cordura%C2%AE-booties-2/.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I just sent you a friend request on Facebook. My real name is Michelle Day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figured the "tank" thing was something like that, but it was interesting to hear about the process. I'll be interested to hear if the booty works. We have a couple Thera-Paws, just in case they're needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely photo of you Joey (almost perfect for a yarn painting, wink wink).
    It is interesting to find out all the different aspects of camping with an RV and what you have to do. Mum is already busy compiling a list of excuses of why she can't do stuff like that incase they ever go camping, LOL.
    Sorry your foot is bothering you and hope you find out what is causing the discomfort.
    Oooh, another cheesy recipe, we like cheese very much!
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Camping sounds like a lot of work, what with dumping tanks and defrosting freezers. Having a boot isn't so bad if it makes your foot Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that having full hookups is much, much easier than having to go to the dumping station. We used to go to a provincial park, where we loved and had a seasonal site there, but there was no sewer hookups. You had a little dolly thing to attach to the hose and then tow it behind your car over to the dumping station. It was alot of work and kind of gross to think about. I hope your foot is feeling better soon with the meds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pass the bacon and cheese potatoes, please!

    Mom and Dad watched a funny movie about a family in an RV a few years ago and Mom assures me that she is NEVER doing hook ups! BOL!

    I'm very tender-footed and I don't like walking on gravel, either. There's nothing wrong with me, I just have sensitive feet.

    I can't believe that you could possibly be any worse that Morgan in that museum! If you're at home in October, you definitely need to come and visit me there. That would be the coolest thing ever!

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pass the bacon and cheese potatoes, please!

    Mom and Dad watched a funny movie about a family in an RV a few years ago and Mom assures me that she is NEVER doing hook ups! BOL!

    I'm very tender-footed and I don't like walking on gravel, either. There's nothing wrong with me, I just have sensitive feet.

    I can't believe that you could possibly be any worse that Morgan in that museum! If you're at home in October, you definitely need to come and visit me there. That would be the coolest thing ever!

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  11. The grey tank other tank business sounds confusing, just as well I'm not dealing with it:) lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Camping is complicated..;-) I would make Jason do the dumping as well..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Full hook up are great! Humm...interesting about the foot. I have had lots of hounds, as I have mentioned, and I know that a few of them can get 'corns' or even 'warts' on their pads. Corns are interesting because they are very hard to see and pressing on them with your fingers doesn't necessarily make them hurt. The only way I could tell a hound had one is the limping on 'hard' surfaces, as opposed to grass or carpet. Perhaps this is what is bothering Joey. ?? Just a thought.
    (still catching up here!)

    ReplyDelete

Home Again - Part 3

 Well, we just realized that we didn't finish telling you about the rest of our trip home.  I don't know if we even remember the res...