Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My February Collar

Mama likes to make us collars for the holidays.  Last night, she made me my February collar. I look nervous, don't I?
If you notice, this collar is made differently than my other collars.  Mama ordered hardware for our collars last week and discovered this new piece that is being used on martingale collars.  She was excited to try it, but also nervous.  She showed it to Daddy to see if he thought it would be safe and he said he thinks it's safer than the old style. We are still being very cautious as we test it out.

The chain takes the place of the material that is normally used that draws together to keep us from backing out of our collars. All the metal that you see comes welded together.  Mama and Daddy both think the chain pulls tighter and quicker than the material does.  Mama's biggest concern was that the chain might break, but Daddy says it won't.  Joey is a puller and some of his collars have been replaced because he wears through the material.  This may be a good option for him.   It took Mama a while to figure out how to make the collar, but once she did, she said it's so much easier than the old style. 


(Yes, I do have a leash on.  It's just not showing up in these photos.)  

If you are interested in making your own collars, here is the place that Mama orders her hardware from. Martingale Collars  You can order a kit to get you started.  That's what Mama did.  Mama doesn't get a commission or anything if you order.  She just thought some of you would be interested in making your own collars. 

Scout
The Greyhound Who Is Ready For February

12 comments:

  1. So pretty. I've been thinking about trying a Martingale collar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool collar. I think I like the new style too. I wish I were handy enough to make a collar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the new collar. I've seen that type of hardware, but with Koira's allergy, haven't been able to try it out.

    I do find it super simple to make a limited slip collar, rather than a martingale. It takes way less time, and still has the safety factor of the collar tightening to prevent backing out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome collar, Scout! Your mom is really talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks very nice Scout. As Mum does not have a creative bone in her body I think I may have to continue to have mine bought! Perhaps Other Mum might help...hmmm Deccy x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that collar - may have to get a kit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mum is so clever making you collars, they are gorgeous.
    Hope the new ones work out okay for you.
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool! I will have to check out the link. I have made a few collars for my guys but I just re-used hardware from old collars because the parts are so hard to find (or impossible) around here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like it would be very good for control without so much choking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the new collar! I think it's a good thing that Mom doesn't make my collars, though. If she started that, we'd never get walks done! I have one like that that I used for obedience class and it worked really well for me.

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog. My owner loves greyhounds, and made a special greyhound only post. Anyway, my owners wish they could make collars for me, but they don`t know how.

    ReplyDelete

Home Again - Part 3

 Well, we just realized that we didn't finish telling you about the rest of our trip home.  I don't know if we even remember the res...