Tuesday, January 29, 2013

George Ranch Historical Park

I am not happy that Dad is in Dallas.  Last night, we went for a walk and a Jeep passed us.  I thought for sure the Jeep was ours.  I insisted we head home.  When we got in the motor home, I checked the recliner because that is where Dad usually is, but he wasn't there.  I kept one ear up until bedtime.  Mama gave us bully sticks, but it didn't help.  A few more big sleeps and he will be home.

The folks visited George Ranch Historical Park on Saturday.  This is a place that follows four generations of the same family  There are four houses. The workers are all dressed in period clothing.  The first house was a log cabin that was built in 1830.

Worker at the 1830 in cabin.
1830's house
The next generation lived in the 1860's house.
1860's house
Demonstration on the six layers of clothing that women wore.
The next house was the 1890's home.

Inside the 1890's home.  This guy is dressed in wool. 

1890's home
Family Cemetery near the 1890's home.
The final house was the 1930's house.  Mama didn't take any photos of the outside of the house.  Here is a tree that was supposedly planted when the house was built.  There is a tree house around it now.

The kitchen of the 1930's house.  It had a dishwasher, electric stove and huge refrigerator. 
When the folks arrived, the first thing they did was eat.  They stopped at the Dinner Bell Cafe.  Mama thought it would be fun. It looked cute.

The food was not very good.  The cook said all they had was a microwave to cook with, so they ate a microwaved hamburger. 
Mama was really sorry she chose eating here instead of eating at the chuck wagon.  The chuck wagon meal would have taken a lot longer and with all there was to see and do here, they were here five hours anyway.   It would have been an experience having their meal prepared at the chuck wagon though.

The chuck wagon.
 After lunch, the folks went to a demonstration by cowboys.  They showed how they round up long horn. 

 They round them up very carefully and they said they suggest where they should go.  Those horns are big and sharp.
They saw a roping demonstration and another cattle demonstration.

This guy's horns are 6 feet across.

There were alligators.
There were chickens.

This is the blacksmith.  He gave a demonstration.
It was about a mile walk to go around the property.  There is a tram that comes by about every half hour.  House tours are every half hour.  The cost is $10 per adult.  No pets are allowed.

Mama said it was a fun place to visit.  She wanted to do it last year, but we were on the opposite side of town and it would have probably taken them 1.5 hours to get there.  She said she always didn't want to visit when it was hot out, so she was glad she was able to visit in cooler weather.

Mama took over 130 photos.  She took a lot of the interior of the homes, but I thought it would be boring to post them all here.  Sorry, Mama.

The Greyhound Who Still Needs A Cowboy Hat

Beach Life Is The Best

Hi Friends! Yes, I know it has been a long time since I updated all of you.  Mom heard someone say that no one really cares when a blogger...