Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Blah!

Well, I am not happy with keeping quiet. I did fine during the day, but once 5 p.m. rolls around, this fun guy is ready to PARTY! I want to run through the house and I want to play with toys. Mama zipped me in my crate last night Can you believe that? You would think Daddy would help me, but no, he is even worse. I really gave Mama the stink eye last night.

Mama is really concerned about my cast sores. She stayed up last night researching them on the Internet and basically found out that they can take a long time to heal. Our vet is off today, but she may call him tomorrow to ask more questions. Has anyone had experience with them? Our vet said to put Neosporin on them. We are doing that three times a day and after we do that, we but a little gauze on them so that my cast does not get damp from the Neosporin. The sores are under the cast, but the vet left a space so that they could be treated. Mama then puts a sock on me so that I don't lick the area. Yesterday afternoon, Mama took the sock off so that my sores could get some air, but overnight, I have to wear the sock. This morning, the sores do look a little better. Mama just doesn't know if they will actually heal while the cast is still on because the cast does seem to rub them a little when I walk even though she tries to keep gauze on the sores. The gauze falls out. So, that's the reason I need to stay quiet, so that my sores can heal. I'm on antibiotics.

Mama is having computer problems. We can't get the pictures on the blog to move around the way we want. :::sigh::: We can no longer use our favorite browser, Firefox. She tried to download other browsers and they will not open. We are not sure what has happened, but something changed on our computer on Friday. Our computer is old. We have a Windows XP. We have to use Internet Explorer now and it is so slow. Mama is a frustrated Mama these days. We have a laptop, but the space bar sticks so typing on it is a real pain. She has tried to fix it, but it still sticks. It's a good thing we are going on vacation soon.

Joey
The Greyhound Who Hates Cast Sores

6 comments:

  1. Dang, so sorry you are getting sores. I know you are ready for this ordeal to be over with. When Sadie dislocated her toe and had surgery, we had a splint. We also had to go everyday for a change for six weeks. Not fun at all. She still developed a couple of sores. I don't really have any tips. Just hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish I had some tips for you but I dont. All I can say is we are keeping our paws crossed and just remember this will be over soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might ask them over at Never Say Never Greyhounds about the cast sores. I know she has recently had a dog in a cast for a while, and talked on the blog about how to avoid pressure sores and such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom said once Hawk had to have stitches and he made it thousands of times worse by licking the area. The vet game Mom some spray for it and it was called Gentocin or something similar to that. She said it was great because they only had to make him leave it alone for about thirty seconds to let it dry, but they did also keep a muzzle with a stool guard on him until it healed. It might be something your mama can use once the cast comes off. I also wonder if that EMT gel might help.

    I hope you're out of that cast really soon!

    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the space can be a help and make thinks worse. Great that you can get to the sores, but seems that the cast would move and rub more. I would ask the vet why they are not using a splint that could be changed once or twice a week. The problem is that it does not take long before you see bone.

    You might see if you could point a hair dryer on a COOL setting down into the cast just to get some air and circulation on the wounds. I think that would be better than keeping them gooped up with neosporin.

    Also don't forget about Kongs. Since he is active in the evenings, you might stuff his dinner into 4 - 6 Kongs depending on how much he eats. Mix his food with cottage cheese, yogurt, or canned dog food and spoon into your Kongs. Let him spend the evening zipped up with his dinner.

    Good luck. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom says aloe vera gel and vitamin E can help with speedier healing. Camie had tummy surgery once and Mom rubbed the skin around her stitches (not on the actual stitches, just the skin nearby) with aloe and the vet was amazed at how quickly it healed.

    Also, maybe in the evenings when you are more active, your mom could put some cotton or fleece between your foot/leg and the cast so there's not as much rubbing???

    We hope you heal quickly.

    Purrs,
    Cody and Gracie

    ReplyDelete

Home Again - Part 3

 Well, we just realized that we didn't finish telling you about the rest of our trip home.  I don't know if we even remember the res...