Tuesday, October 9, 2012

On Our Own

Dad left yesterday at 2:45 a.m. for the airport.  He didn't even wake us up to say goodbye.  Mama took him to the airport and was back around 4:30 a.m.  She fixed breakfast after she got home and then went to bed for two hours.  She then fixed a big batch of chili. She froze most of it to eat later.  After that, she started painting the bedroom.  She has been wanting to paint that room since we moved here. 

This is the before.  It is dark purple with gold.

Red paint from a previous time was on the ceiling.  The picture shows the color of the purple better than the other one.
 Mama has never painted before.  She has watched Dad many times.  Dad never uses tape to prevent paint from getting where it shouldn't. Mama put tape around the door, but that ended up not working so well.  She is going to have to paint over some purple that the tape covered up. She didn't use tape on the ceiling and she did just fine.  The roller did hit the ceiling a few times, so she will have to cover that up, but it's not a big deal because she was able to cover up the red paint without any issues.  Dad said hitting the ceiling was a rookie mistake. 

Mama says her technique would not be approved of by Dad, but she got the job done and she thinks it looks just fine.  It took her about five hours and Dad said that was really good considering she did it all on her own and had to move furniture, etc.

How many coats of paint do you think it took?  It only took one thanks to the paint that has primer in it.

This is the room now.  It is a sand color.
The room looks much bigger now.  Mama is very happy with the look of it. She wanted it to be a little darker, but she is not painting it again.  LOL   We have one more purple room that needs to be painted.  Mama is not going to do it today because she is sore and tired from yesterday. She has other things that she can do today.

Dad arrived in Jamaica without any issues.  His cell phone doesn't work there, so last night he called us from an office phone.  We are not sure he will be allowed to do that on a daily basis.  He knows the general manager there, so it may not be an issue.  We think he is going to enjoy his stay there more than St. Thomas.

We were asked what Dad does for a living. He works for a major hotel chain.  He fills in for managers when their position are empty.  That is why we don't have much notice as to where we are going or for how long because the position could be filled quickly or it might take months.

Guess what?  I have been running in the yard!  In case you don't know my story, I had a leg injury and had not been allowed to run before our HUGE adventure began.  I had two surgeries in the nine months that I lived here.  Well, I guess I did run once before we left, but now I am legal.  Scout and I ran and ran on Sunday.  Last night, I was running and stopped to dig a hole.  Mama says we have a mole in the yard and that's why the ground collapsed and now we have a deep hole.  The yard is now closed to us until she fills it with dirt.  She says we could put our leg in the hole and get hurt.  It never ends.   I started digging another hole and Mama said "Joey, are you digging another hole?"  I quickly laid on the hole so that she couldn't see it.  I'll finish it later.  BOL

The Greyhound Who Likes To Run And Dig Holes

End of March - More Condo Updates

 March has been very nice here weatherwise.  We have had many beautiful days!  We survived spring break.  It wasn't crazy with college...